Drogue Update

Finished up the unfinished business from last time, i.e. procedural dungeon generation, 18 monsters, basic AI and combat mechanics. There are a few bugs where stuff spawns in the walls that I’m trying to work out, and the items and monsters are all pretty generic and in need of fleshing out.

Check it out here.

Gauntlike!

basically playable!

I also started a project to make a PICO-8 version of Gauntlet, which I really loved playing in the dedicated 4-person glass-top arcade version at Pizza Hut as a kid. I have the first three levels basically recreated. Only main feature missing is that the blue potion (which you should be able to press Z to clear all enemies on the screen). Main addition is there is line-of-sight so you don’t see monsters, items, or generators through walls! Check it out here.

Megaman-Inspired Space Marine Platfomer

Those darn mechs!

So I have this project I’ve been working on that is by no means complete, but is essentially playable. It started with following along with this tutorial and then kind of expanding on that. A fun mechanic in the game, which you can notice as you ascend throughout the space station levels, is that the force of gravity gets lower the higher you go (as it realistically would in a station configured for spin gravity). On the top levels you really moon jump around!

Of course I added a few more things like monsters, items, shooting, hit points, energy and the music/SFX. At this point really just need to see about filling out the levels with more obstacles and baddies. Check it out here.

Drogue: Welcome to the Dungeon!

I’m working on a new PICO-8 project since having wrapped up PICO Spacewar two player version. (Doing a one player version of that is something I’d like to work on in the future, but I got a bit stumped on how to implement the AI on that one and decided to switch gears for a while).

This new project is more of an old school roguelike, in that it uses a text console only for graphical display. The main inspirations for it are Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (my favorite roguelike to play) and Porklike (which shows creative ways of dealing with PICO8’s extreme limitations in a roguelike).

Figuring out the interface was the first design challenge but took a little tweaking. I decided to go with a 32×20 console, as this is the largest one can get with even numbers on a 128×128 display with 4×6 character sizes. I came down on using a 15×15 tile map, centered around the player and scrollable. This leaves 17 characters of width for a sidebar to the right to display stats and enemy health levels, and 5 characters of height for text console output below. The console area spans the entire width of the screen, meaning each message can contain up to 32 characters.

Right now I’ve gotten the main loop stuff down, as well as the basic systems for maps, entities, items and player levelling up. What I have yet to address at this poin is the actual procedural content generation, enemy intelligence, and content in terms of the 26 monsters (A-Z) as well as lots of treasure.

Here’s a preview, I’ll post a playable demo once its in a more complete state!

PicoSpaceWar! v1.0

When I was a kid in the ’80s one of my favorite games was the shareware version of Spacewar that was going around at the time. I decided it would be a fun idea to re/de-make it in PICO-8. I took a lot of inspiration from that game and was helped out by others who had already figured out sprite rotation methods I could easily plug in to the code.

Check it out here.