I’m working on a new PICO-8 project since having wrapped up PICO Spacewar two player version. (Doing a one player version of that is something I’d like to work on in the future, but I got a bit stumped on how to implement the AI on that one and decided to switch gears for a while).
This new project is more of an old school roguelike, in that it uses a text console only for graphical display. The main inspirations for it are Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (my favorite roguelike to play) and Porklike (which shows creative ways of dealing with PICO8’s extreme limitations in a roguelike).
Figuring out the interface was the first design challenge but took a little tweaking. I decided to go with a 32×20 console, as this is the largest one can get with even numbers on a 128×128 display with 4×6 character sizes. I came down on using a 15×15 tile map, centered around the player and scrollable. This leaves 17 characters of width for a sidebar to the right to display stats and enemy health levels, and 5 characters of height for text console output below. The console area spans the entire width of the screen, meaning each message can contain up to 32 characters.
Right now I’ve gotten the main loop stuff down, as well as the basic systems for maps, entities, items and player levelling up. What I have yet to address at this poin is the actual procedural content generation, enemy intelligence, and content in terms of the 26 monsters (A-Z) as well as lots of treasure.
Here’s a preview, I’ll post a playable demo once its in a more complete state!